It was a delightful afternoon on the lawn at the The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas where Director of Mixology for Southern Wine & Spirits of Hawai‘i in Honolulu, Chandra Lucariello, shared a couple of her most popular recipes as well as the Fresh Mai Tai she created in honor of the first Ka’anapali Fresh event. Live demonstrations and taste tests made this an interactive event that included three fresh and organic cocktails; the Maka Tai, Sparkling Rose Sangria and Solera Punch. We hope you’ll enjoy these recipes as well!
(Fresh Mai Tai in honor of Ka’anapali Fresh)
- 1 oz Old Lahaina Silver Rum
- 1 oz Old Lahaina Dark Rum
- ½ oz Housemade Maui falernum
- ¾ oz Fresh Lime Jiuce
- 3 Pineapple Wedges, Squeezed in ½ Tahitian Vanilla Bean
Muddle pineapple with vanilla and lime. Add liquors and ice. Shake and Strain over ice into highball. Garnish with thin pineapple half-moon and pineapple leaf.
Ingredients for Housemade Maui falernum (yields approximately 50 ounces):
- 20 oz. Old Lahaina Gold Rum
- Zest of 10 Limes removed with a grater
- Zest of 10 Lemons removed with a grater
- 6 oz Ginger root (peeled and julienned)
- 60 Cloves
- 10 Cinnamon sticks
Let mixture rest for 24 hours. Strain mixture from all the solids. Add one teaspoon of Almond extract. Add 28 oz Rich Simple Syrup (2:1 sugar to water) and 8 oz of fresh lime juice.
Sparkling Rose Sangria
- 2 oz Chandon Rose Sparkling Wine
- ½ oz Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira
- ½ oz Grand Marnier
- 1 Wedge each: Lemon, Lime and Orange
- Splash of Orange Juice and Pineapple Juice
Squeeze fruits and drop into glass. Add juices and liquors with ice. Shake and pour into large wine glass. Top with sparkling wine, stir to combine. Garnish with seasonal berries.
- 16 oz (2 cups) Ron Zacapa Cententario Rum
- 8 oz (1 cup) Sandeman Ruby Port
- Peel of 2 Lemons
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) superfine sugar
- 4 oz Lemon Juice
- 16 oz Cold Filtered Water
- Large Ice Block (Quart Sized)
Muddle lemon peels with sugar and let sit for 90 minutes. Add lemon juice and muddle again, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add rum, port and water and add large ice cube. Grate ¼ nutmeg over the top, ladle into small cups.